HONEY! GLORIOUS HONEY! It’s the delicious golden substance that we love and adore. We spread it on toast, add it to tea and even slather it on our bodies.
Honey is pretty much as old as time itself. One of the first records of honey being used comes from a rock painting found in Valencia, Spain, dating back 8000 years ago! In this rock painting, a person is shown robbing a wild honeybee colony by smoking out the bees and opening up the hive with a rock. Jumping forward in time, the ancient Egyptians were also found to use honey, as evidenced by the pieces of honey comb found in Egyptian tombs.
Today, honey is widely found on any supermarket shelf, but we often take it for granted. When bee populations decline, honey production declines too. If bees were wiped out we would be left without honey, but also left without an outstanding variety of fruit, vegetable and plant species. Most people don’t appreciate the great role honey-makers have and the effort it takes to make honey. They also don’t appreciate all the benefits of honey itself, and that one day we may not have this beautiful and rich substance anymore.
WATCH: HOW BEES MAKE HONEY
THE BENEFITS OF HONEY:
You’re probably getting hungry for some honey right about now? Not only is honey delicious, but it also has a range of amazing benefits. But remember, it is best to use raw and organic honey.
- It boosts your immune system – Organic honey is loaded with a healthy dose of vitamins, minerals and enzymes that can protect your body in times of sickness. Take 1-2 teaspoons of honey by itself or mixed with a tea to soothe a cough or sore throat.
- It is nutritious – What a treat that honey is tasty and beneficial! Honey is found to contain small amounts of vitamins and minerals, including niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc. Swapping sugars for honey provides you with a more nutritious diet.
- It helps you lose weight – Great news! A sweetener that isn’t bad for you. Drinking warm water with honey and lemon first thing in the morning is believed to cleanse your liver, remove toxins and get rid of fat from your body.
- It clears your skin – Honey contains anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties which are great for removing blemishes from your skin. At night, apply a small dab of organic honey to a spot and leave it to work its magic overnight. Wash it off in the morning and with regular use you should notice clearer skin!
- It soothes indigestion – The antiseptic properties in honey can relieve the acidity in the stomach and alleviate digestion. Taking 1-2 teaspoons before a big meal can help combat indigestion, or if you already have it, try adding honey and lemon to a glass of warm water.
- It boost your energy levels – The natural sugars found in honey provide a great source of calories and energy for your body. Try adding a tablespoon of honey to your water bottle during workouts and see if you notice a difference in your energy levels.